Friday, March 02, 2007

Styles

So this week I observed a few mentors and tutors helping students with papers and projects for our journal entries. I decided to do my two entries on the two mentors that I felt were the most productive and efficient in their job. They both took on the roll of the minimalist tutor very well. I personally admire this approach because it really gets the tutee to think. It helps them more then if they were told what to do, I feel, because if they were told what to do then sure their papers or projects would be good, but would the student learn anything? That’s the real question.
By being a minimalist style tutor, I feel that you really work the student into creating a better way of thinking. The way these two mentors guided the students who needed help turned out to be very effective because each student left with a greater feeling of accomplishment then those who were just told what to do. That is why I support this style, because you are rewarded with that feeling as a tutor as well.

No comments: